Foundation cracks in your building foundation
Foundation cracks in every type of apartment and condo building, as you might expect, are quite common in Canada, with the temperature and ground movement we can experience here. Many foundation cracks aren’t too concerning — in the case of shifting foundations and/or “settling” property. Others, due to substandard construction or erosion, are more serious, even dangerous.
Relying on a quick foundation fix is not a solid solution
Foundation cracks may not always be a sign of a serious and expensive underlying problem but, once you notice them, you can be certain that they require the services of an expert foundation contractor with the experience to do an excellent foundation repair job, not an amateur DIYer who may rely only on a layer of cement or a bonding agent — both quick fixes — to repair the crack. You’ll need a permanent foundation repair solution, such as basement waterproofing.
Opt for a foundation crack repair expert if you see these warning signs…
Noticed any cracks? Unsure if you need a foundation crack repair expert to visit your condo, apartment or multi-dwelling buildings? Check out the Top 15 foundation crack warning signs below to help identify if you may need foundation repairs:
- Crumbling concrete
- Flaking concrete
- Cracked walls
- Floor cracks and gaps (e.g. cracks in basement floor)
- Calcium stains
- Wet basement
- Leaky basement
- Water damage
- Soil shifting
- Sloping landscape
- Sagging floors
- Warped ceilings
- Concrete contraction
- Poorly fitted doors and windows
What should you do if you see any of those signs?
Don't be alarmed if you see any of these signs in your condo, apartment or multi-dwelling property — many do not pose any serious structural risk. The major issue with foundation cracks is water damage to the foundation and/or basement of your condo or apartment building, which is conducive to allergies, asthma attacks and/or mold.
While your property's foundation cracks may not be serious, they can still bring about water-related issues that can result in foundation erosion — if this water is permitted to constantly making its way into your basement via your foundation.
Bottom line: It’s always a wise choice to consult a foundation specialist to determine if a foundation crack is normal or an indicator of a serious issue and make sure you obtain a waterproof foundation after using a waterproof membrane all around your apartment building. This is where RenoAssistance comes in. We have access to many foundation contractors who specialize in permanent foundation crack repair solutions.
Repairing your worrisome foundation cracks with RenoAssistance is worry-free
When you choose to use the services of a professional foundation contractor, expect to need one of the following foundation repair solutions:
- Refurbishing the foundation (e.g., basement leak repair)
- Lowering the basement floor
- Adapting the structural components
- Correcting an uplift concrete problem
Our foundation experts will examine each option above and help you select the solution that best meets your needs.
Today, there are six generally accepted foundation crack repair methods, which fall into these three categories:
- Injection - There are two types of repair material that are frequently injected into foundation cracks to prevent them from leaking: urethane resin (for non-structural leaking repairs) and epoxy resin (for non-leaking structural repairs)
- Positive side waterproofing - Excavating the earth to expose the crack (from the outside) and applying a waterproof membrane over the foundation crack
- Negative side water control - Channeling the water under the basement floor (also known as a French drain)
Although there may not be a single solution for basement cracks or one right course of action, you can be sure that there are two major considerations to keep in mind: you cannot ignore any foundation crack problems and, if you have already seen a few, you will need a pro to do, for instance, a basement crack repair, concrete crack repair and/or a basement foundation repair.
Ask one of our renovation advisors to find you the best expert at the best price, for free!
If you opt to work closely with RenoAssistance, count on one of our expert renovation advisors to offer you a "helping hand" to ensure you make only informed foundation repair decisions throughout your project. Here's how:
- Your advisor will examine your project closely with you and, when she or he are done, refer you up to three of our 360° Verified foundation crack repair contractors to quote on your job.
- They'll compare the three contractor quotes with you, making sure you pick the best expert for your project at the best price (from the basement leak repair cost to the foundation repair rates).
- Your advisor will answer your questions throughout your project (even afterwards)
After working on thousands of projects, our renovation advisors have the experience you need to make yours a success from start to finish. The best news? This incredible service is completely free…with no strings attached.
Succesful renovations start here!