Elastomeric Membrane Roofing
If you live in a climate where temperatures fluctuate dramatically — where even summer highs and lows tend to be unpredictable — it's important to have a roof that can withstand and resist these harsh weather conditions.
Elastomeric membrane roofs easily meet these two criteria and offer a variety of other advantages, which makes them a popular choice. Installed according to manufacturing standards and best industry practices, an elastomeric membrane roof is an aesthetic, durable, weather-resistant and easy-to-maintain option worthy of your consideration for your home. RenoAssistance can help you determine if this ever-more popular roofing alternative fits your home and its needs.
Elastomeric membranes come in two varieties
In today's roofing marketplace, there are two types of elastomeric roofing:
- Traditional elastomeric membranes - With a blowtorch, a base elastomeric membrane (or modified bitumen membrane) is fused to a finishing membrane, composed of coloured granules, and is typically black or white (to protect the roof from the sun's heat).
- Self-adhesive elastomeric membranes - This product uses cold-install technology (without the use of a blowtorch), which lessens the risk of fire during installation and eliminates the odour of hot asphalt.
Why should you choose the elastomeric membrane option over others?
Here are the main reasons you should select an elastomeric membrane roof:
- Lifespan - A properly installed and maintained elastomeric membrane roof can last up to 30 years.
- Weather resistance - Elastomeric membrane roofs, due to their robustness and high moisture resistance, can withstand harsh climates.
- Watertightness - The double layer ensures superior waterproofing.
- Aesthetics - Elastomeric membrane products, can provide your roof with a more polished look, enhancing the curb appeal of your home and is normally available in black or white to fit the style of your building.
- Maintenance - Annual inspections and minimal repairs (if necessary) are enough to extend the lifespan of an elastomeric membrane roof.
- Installation - Elastomeric membrane roofs can be installed in virtually any weather.
- Return on Investment - This option is a wise long-term investment due to its durability.
Generally, there are two disadvantages to consider before you opt for an elastomeric membrane roof:
- The upfront cost of an elastomeric membrane roof, relative to other roofing alternatives, might be slightly higher.
- Since traditional elastomeric membranes must be installed with a blowtorch, you need to get in touch with the best-specialized roofers to avoid any fire risks.
Want to take a look at other roofing options?
Compare this option to other roofing solutions installed by roofers recommended by RenoAssistance:
Want to check out other roofing options?
Compare metal roofs with other alternative roofing materials:
There are many flat roof material options out there, such as:
Tar & Gravel
Here are some sloped (i.e. pitched) roof materials to consider:
Let RenoAssistance connect you with a qualified elastomeric membrane roofing contractor
Because a blowtorch must be used during the installation process, increasing the risk of fire, the installation, repair and rehabilitation of elastomeric membrane roofing require skills and expertise.
RenoAssistance can assist you with your search for the right roofing contractor. We already have proven roofers in our network to refer to you — with our 360° Verified Contractor stamp of approval and a long history of happy customers. So, you know they have years of experience in elastomeric membrane installation! They'll be able to properly install your roof & make the project a success!
Wondering what the first step is? One of our Renovation Advisors will review your project (to identify your roofing needs), refer you up to three verified elastomeric membrane roofing contractors (to quote your job) and assess their quotes with you to help you select a contractor who will make your project successful — all for free and all with no obligation to move forward with the chosen contractors.