Asphalt Shingle Roofing
If you are planning on replacing your roof with a highly appealing, yet cost-effective and weather-resistant roofing material, look no further! Asphalt shingles are the way to go!
In today's highly competitive residential roofing market, you may have many options to choose from, but asphalt shingles are, by far, one of the most popular choices. Although not as heavy-duty or long-lasting as more premium roofing alternatives — like metal roofing (such as aluminum, steel or copper) and slate — asphalt shingles offer ample protection and curb appeal at only a fraction of the price of other options.
At Reno-Assistance, our Renovation Advisors will go through every advantage and disadvantage of asphalt shingle roofs with you, helping you determine if this popular roofing material is right for you and your home.
Choose from two types of asphalt shingles...organic or fibreglass
Asphalt shingles come in two varieties:
• Organic - Organic shingles are made from paper waste coated with asphalt (for waterproofing purposes), adhesive salt coatings and ceramic fragments (embedded on top of the shingle).
• Fibreglass - Fibreglass shingles are coated with a layer of synthetic glass fiber and asphalt, which makes them waterproof.
What's the best fit for your home? Although more durable than their fiberglass counterparts, organic shingles are more flammable and less eco-friendly due to their high level of asphalt, which is oil based. Alternatively, fiberglass shingles offer an exceptional protection against fire, and, if popularity is any indication of merit, are gradually replacing organic shingles as the best option.
Not sure you want asphalt shingles for your home? See how other roofing options stack up:
There are many advantages to choosing asphalt shingles over other roofing options. Here's are some benefits:
• Relatively low upfront cost (asphalt shingles are the most affordable short-term roofing option);
• Decent protection level with an average lifespan of 20 to 25 years (affordable value in light of the modest upfront cost);
• Variety of styles - all with 3 profiles: 3-tab (basic and least expensive), laminated (architectural or dimensional) or premium;
• Wide choice of colours to fit with your house siding;
• Numerous patterns available - which enables you to create an attractive, custom look to enhance curb appeal;
• Choice of limited warranties;
• Easy to install by any knowledgeable roofing contractor;
• Light enough to be installed on virtually any type roof - without requiring extra structural support - in just a few days;
• Significantly lower installation cost than what you would pay for specialty roofing systems (such as metal and slate).
Here are some disadvantages to consider before opting for asphalt shingles:
• Shingles can be damaged if attic ventilation isn't up to par;
• Cheaper grades of asphalt shingles are vulnerable to wind uplift;
• Poor weather resistance to extreme temperature fluctuation (which may cause cracking and wash out colours);
• Maintenance and repairs might be necessary;
• An environmentally unfriendly roofing solution (it's a petroleum based product);
• A relatively short service life compared to other, more sustainable roofing alternatives for homes.
Want to know more about alternative roofing options?
Compare asphalt shingles to other roofing options Reno-Assistance's contractors can install.
Tar & gravel
Let Reno-Assistance offer you a new slant on selecting the best roofers
Your roof plays a very important role on the home front. So much is riding on it: your comfort, your safety and your home's curb appeal. A poorly installed roof can put you, your family and your home's structural integrity at risk.
Whether you have to repair or replace your home's roof, you'll need a professional roofing contractor to do the job. That's where Reno-Assistance comes in. We have identified the best roofers for this type of job, so you can get your roofing project off the ground immediately.
When working with Reno-Assistance, you'll find the right roofer for your home...and budget. We will refer you to only the top roofing experts, making the entire process easier for you — from choosing the best asphalt shingles to replacing (or repairing) your roof.
Get on your new roof now. One of our dedicated Renovation Advisors will gladly help!
Our Renovation Advisors have countless renovation and construction projects under their belts. They'll surely find you the best roofers for your project in no time.
Your advisor will review your project to identify your needs, send up to three professional roofing contractors to quote on your job, and look at their quotes with you - providing you with the guidance you need to select the contractor that's right for your project. All of this for free. There's no obligation on your part to continue with these referrals. Though, we believe you'll be more than delighted to with these contractors' workmanship.
There's no reason to wait to wait any longer. Get your roofing project started today.