Asphalt Shingle Roofs
If you are planning to replace your roof with a highly appealing, yet cost-effective and weather-resistant roofing alternative, look no further than asphalt shingles.
In today's highly competitive residential roofing market, you may have many options to choose from, but asphalt shingles are, by far, one of the most popular choices. Although not as heavy-duty or long-lasting as more premium roofing alternatives — like metal (such as aluminum, steel or copper), cedar, slate and clay — asphalt shingles offer ample protection and curb appeal at only a fraction of the price of other options.
At Reno-Assistance, we will go through every advantage and disadvantage of asphalt shingle roofs with you, helping you determine if this popular roofing choice is right for you and your home.
Choose from two types of asphalt shingles...organic or fibreglass
Asphalt shingles come in two varieties:
• Organic - Organic shingles are made from paper waste coated with asphalt (for waterproofing purposes), adhesive salt coatings and ceramic granules (embedded on top of the shingle).
• Fibreglass - Fibreglass shingles are coated with a layer of synthetic glass fibre and asphalt, which makes them waterproof.
What's the best fit for your home? Although more durable than their fibreglass cousins, organic shingles are more flammable and are less eco-friendly due to their high level of asphalt, which is oil based. Alternatively, fibreglass shingles offer exceptional fire protection and, if popularity is any indication of merit, are gradually replacing organic shingles as the best option.
Not sure you want asphalt shingles over your head? See how other roofing solutions stack up.
There are many advantages to choosing asphalt shingles over other roofing solutions. Here's a brief list:
• A relatively low upfront cost (asphalt shingles are the most affordable short-term roofing option)
• A decent level of protection with an average lifespan of 20 to 25 years (affordable value in light of the modest upfront cost)
• Variety of styles with three profiles: 3-tab (basic and least expensive), laminated (architectural or dimensional) or premium
• Wide choice of colours to fit with your house siding
• Numerous patterns available (enables you to create an attractive, custom look to enhance curb appeal)
• Choice of limited warranties
• Easy to install (by any knowledgeable roofing contractor)
• Lightweight enough to be installed on virtually any type roof (without requiring extra structural support) in a few days
• Significantly lower installation cost than what you would pay for specialty roofing systems (such as metal, slate and tiles)
Asphalt shingles do have some disadvantages that you need to consider before choosing them for your home:
• Potential damage to asphalt shingles due to attic ventilation issues
• Cheaper grades of asphalt shingles vulnerable to wind uplift
• Poor weather resistance to extreme temperature fluctuation (which may cause cracking and wash out colours)
• Maintenance and repairs might be necessary
• An environmentally unfriendly roofing solution (it's a petroleum based product)
• A relatively short service life compared to other, more sustainable roofing alternatives for homes
Want to see more roofing options?
Compare this option to other roofing solutions installed by roofers recommended by Reno-Assistance:
Tar & gravel
Let Reno-Assistance offer you a new slant on selecting the best roofing contractor
Your roof plays a very important role on the home front. Everything is riding on it — your comfort, your safety and your home's curb appeal. A poorly installed roof can put you, your family and your home's structural integrity at risk.
Whether you have to repair or replace your home's roof, you'll need a proven professional roofing contractor to do the job. That's where Reno-Assistance comes in. We have identified the best roofers for this type of job, so you can get your roofing project off the ground immediately.
When you work with Reno-Assistance, you'll find the right roofer for your home...and budget. We will refer only the top roofing experts to you, making every step of your project easier for you — from choosing the best asphalt shingles to replacing or upgrading your roof.
Get on top of your new roof with one of our dedicated Renovation Advisors
With one of our Renovation Advisors, who have countless renovation and construction projects under their belts, you will have a proven roofer for your project in no time.
Your advisor will review your project to identify your needs, send you up to three professional roofing contractors to quote on your job and look at their quotes with you, providing you with the guidance you need to select the contractor who’s right for your project. All for free — and there's no obligation to continue with these referrals…but we believe you’ll be more than delighted with their workmanship.
So there's no reason to wait. Get your roofing project started today.