Let Reno-Assistance make sure your renovations restore — not reinvent — the character of your heritage home!
Does your heritage home need work? Want to give it a facelift, preserving its heritage character inside and out? Getting started with your heritage home improvements is always the most difficult part. Not with Reno-Assistance on your side.
We have already found the very best contractors for your heritage renovation project, so you can get started…on the right foundation.
Make over your heritage home that’s history in the making…with Reno-Assistance
If you want or are required to renovate your heritage home, preserving its original architectural character, you need to follow certain steps before you start your project:
- Submit a proposal to your city’s heritage committee to get municipal clearance for your renovations.
- Check for asbestos, lead paint or other substances that may require special removal.
- Make sure all your new building materials are of the same quality if you need to ensure an accurate reproduction of the original materials.
- Be meticulous with outside repairs and replacements, if you have to retain the exterior look of your home, including your doors, windows, moldings, porches and rooflines.
- Plan for framing upgrades and the replacement of substandard plumbing and wiring.
- Integrate new color schemes inside and outside based on the era of your home.
- Consider a “green” approach to your project: wherever possible, try to conserve and refurbish your home’s original materials (like wood panels, windows, doors and floors).
- If you plan to build an extension, you can add it to the side or back of your home to create more living space (since the resale value of any heritage home is based more on its facade than any other side and the proportions of your home mostly likely dictate it).
Since heritage projects often have a bigger price tag than traditional jobs — since the cos
t of materials and labour, not to mention the surprise factor, can be higher — you need to be vigilant about the renovation choices you make.
If this project sounds a little too daunting for you, we can refer you to the best heritage planners and contractors, making this job easier and less expensive for you in the short, medium and long run.