While a home addition may be the best decision you make for your home, several factors are worth considering.
Are you contemplating an addition for aesthetic reasons? Do you want more space? Is it to increase the value of your home? Is it something else entirely?
Your needs and wants will determine the kind of addition you pursue and the price you pay for it.
Average Home Addition Cost
Materials and Labour
|On Piers – Turnkey||$140 / sq ft||$175 / sq ft|
|On Piers – Unfinished||$110 / sq ft||$125 / sq ft|
|On Foundation/Slab – Turnkey||$170 / sq ft||$215 / sq ft|
|On Foundation/Unfinished||$125 / sq ft||$170 / sq ft|
|4 Seasons Solarium||$145 / sq ft||$185 / sq ft|
Would you like to know the cost of your home addition?
Although the price of a home addition is steeper in Toronto than in Montreal, the return on investment can also be greater in Toronto.
This figure also shows how difficult it is to buy a bigger home in Toronto/the GTA. Sure, you may get a good price for your current home, but buying a bigger home that can accommodate your needs might not work for your budget.
So if you like your location, you can increase its size and customize it to suit your needs.
Consider a bump-out addition to avoid touching the roof or the foundation, or a if you’d rather not lose yard space. Either way, you’ll get the space you need.
To learn more about possible solutions or to get a detailed estimate for your project, give Reno-Assistance a call at 1-888-670-9742 to speak to a Renovation Advisor who can arrange up to three free 360° Verified quotes for you, with no obligation to move forward.
Save with a home addition built on piers or a concrete slab
It’s often advisable to carry out a lateral extension on a solid foundation, but you can be certain that this type of work is much more expensive and complex. There are, however, other options you can consider such as a room addition that is built on piers injected into the earth. It’s easier to do and requires less machinery – both of which will save you money. On the flip side, this type of addition could add to your heating costs as the base of your extension will be more exposed to the elements.
To avoid these heating issues, you could consider concrete slabs that serve both as a foundation and as a floor. It’s an excellent solution to avoid digging a new foundation while at the same time staying warm during the winter. If you choose this expansion option, you must first verify that your land can support this type of structure.
The cost of a pier house extension averages approximately $110 to $175 per square foot depending on whether you would like a fully finished turnkey solution or unfinished. A concrete slab addition is more expensive ($165 to $195 per square foot), but you could make up the difference over time with lower monthly bills.
Our customers’ home additions
The Home Addition Section of our Reno-Inspiration tool is full of inspirational ideas and price tags for each. If something catches your eye and you want to discuss it further, contact us at 1 888-670-9742 or submit your project online. Our renovation advisors will be happy to help. We have a network of 360° Verified Contractors who will ensure your home addition is completed successfully, on time and on budget.
What else to consider for your home addition
Per-square-foot cost of a home addition project
On average, the total cost of a home addition project can range anywhere between $21,000 to $150,000 but the actual cost of your project will depend entirely on your specific requirements. Are you planning to add a small room to your Toronto home or interested in a complete second-storey addition? Usually, home addition costs vary from $80 to $200 per square foot.
A detailed budgetary estimate to help you make a decision
The price varies from one project to another. However, it will include the following:
- Architect fees, which can account for up to 10-18% of the total project cost.
- Excavation and demolition fees are also a factor you should take into account. Usually removing a wall costs at least $300.
- Basic framing expenses (including the cost of building walls) can cost something in the range of $6 to $8 per square foot. If you’re interested in a room addition of 1,000 square feet, the framing cost will be approximately $8,000.
- Drywall costs for 1,000 square feet can be close to $2,000 and with insulation costs coming in at approximately $1,200.
- Roofing costs of the new addition will vary according to your choice. You can purchase roofing material from $5 to $50 per square foot, so there is quite a broad range of options to consider, but you may be restricted depending on your type of roof structure.
- Licensed electricians tend to charge $50-$100 per hour on average for wiring the room addition.
- If you are looking for a fully-functional bathroom addition or kitchen addition, you will have to consider the additional plumbing costs as well.
- You’ll also need to keep money aside for electrical fixtures, furniture, accessories and appliances required to complete the new living space.
Choosing a reputable and experienced home addition contractor is key!
You certainly don’t want an inexperienced contractor handling the work, so if you choose a home addition contractor on the basis of cost alone, you may be making a big financial and emotional mistake.
Choose a reputable contractor with experience in home additions and extensions. Research their past projects and talk to their past customers to get a clear idea of the quality of their work. It will give you much greater peace of mind and increase the likelihood of a stress-free home addition.
"I'm here to help you with your home addition project"
- Francis / Renovation Advisor at Reno-Assistance
If you have an idea as to what type of addition you would like to undergo or would simply like some more information, give Reno-Assistance a call at 1-888 670 9742, or fill out our contact form and an advisor will be in touch to help you with your project and refer the best local house extension specialists that have met our stringent 360° verification criteria. It’s free and there’s no obligation. Give us a call today.
Happy renovations start here!